Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday roundup

I've been too swamped to post lately, but here are my favorite goodies I made for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Happy New Year!

Pumpkin Cheesecake
From the
Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen (Thanks!)

I upped the pumpkin to 2/3 cup and made the following gingersnap crust:

Ingredients
2 cups (about 44 snaps) finely crushed gingersnaps
1/4 cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted

In a mixing bowl, combine the gingersnap crumbs, sugar, and margarine. Press the mixture into the bottom and partway up the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch springform pan.

Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes, until the cookies smell toasty. Remove from the oven, cool, and fill with the pumpkin cheesecake recipe
.

P.S. I didn't tell my granddad that this was vegan, and he loved it!

Swedish Ginger Cookies
from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Cookies

You can find the recipe from this classic cookbook over at Feeding my Enthusiasms. (Thanks!)

To make the cookies vegan, leave out the egg from the dough and replace the butter with margarine such as Earth Balance.

The cookies pictured here were decorated with royal icing according to the original recipe (using egg whites). My sister decorated the beautiful cookie above based on a wooden Swedish horse, and I decorated the plate below. Small cinnamon candies or sprinkles are fun additions as well.
(My mom made the dough and icing, my sister and I rolled out and baked a few batches, and then several of us tried our hand at decorating.)

Here is a variation to make vegan icing:


1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons soymilk

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons corn syrup


Mix ingredients together until smooth. Spoon into a prepared pastry bag fitted with a tip, or in a pinch, use a zip-lock bag with a small corner cut off. The dough and frosting will keep a day or two sealed tightly in the fridge.

Finally, on Christmas Day I made a delicious re-run of Simple Mushroom Risotto, this time with chopped chanterelles and baby portobellas:

1 comment:

  1. Love the gingersnap crusted pumpkin cheesecake. Will have to try that and compare it to the pumpkin pie we just had.Glad you enjoyed the cookies, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete